Yoga makes good athletes better. This time-honored discipline imparts flexibility, balance, and whole-body strength, creating improvements in an athlete’s form, efficiency, and power. In addition, yoga’s attention to concentration and breath awareness improves mental focus and mental endurance—hidden assets that become especially important at the end of a long training session or race.
In The Athlete’s Guide to Yoga, yoga instructor, endurance athlete, and coach Sage Rountree explains the benefits that yoga can bring to every training program. With hundreds of color photographs featuring more than 100 poses, this book treats common problem areas to make athletes stronger in their sport. Rountree helps athletes see progress from just 10 minutes of yoga each day. In an engaging and easy-to-follow style, The Athlete’s Guide to Yoga presents:
- warm-up and cool-down routines for workouts
- simple poses to specifically target areas of inflexibility and overuse
- breath and meditation exercises
- different types of yoga for each phase of training
- recommendations for intensity and volume of yoga workouts throughout the training year
Rountree’s applications for training and racing ease the introduction to yoga, making it practical and accessible for all athletes.